Wednesday, May 08, 2013

I. Am. Not. A. Crafter.

I like to create things.  Not like in the science lab - although, truth be know, I was a Chem major...  but that's not what I'm talking about here.  I'm talking about that kind of creation that some might call "Crafting."

Blech.


I don't like that word.  crafting.  Crayons, Elmer's Glue, Macaroni and tempera paint... that's the stuff of crafting.  Oh - and that weird plastic "canvas" that you can weave yarn through to make tissue covers... those are crafts.


My creations are of wool roving, comic book pages, discarded wood, yarn, flowers (fake and real), beautiful papers, and a whole lot of hot glue.  But, whether you call it craft, art, or simply creation - I like to make stuff.   Weird stuff, cool stuff, pretty stuff... just about any stuff.


You see, that's my difficulty.  I like to make just about ANYTHING.  I've discovered that I tend to pick up a new medium, play around with it for a while, make a few things and then move on to something else.  This means that I end up with a of of random pieces of stuff:  hand-made pompoms, needle-felted flowers, skeins of yarn half-used in knitting,  loads of gorgeous papers, metal keys, jump rings.... you get the picture.  


I've finally found something to do with all those weird little left-over bits.


Wreaths!


This one is a straw form wrapped with black and white yarn.  I added the beautiful woll pompoms that I made in my pompom-making frenzy in mid-2012.  




The close-up is not only a little blurry (sorry) but it's also a little pollen-covered.  I'd just pulled it in after having on the front door throughout pollen season.  If you haven't lived through Spring in Georgia, then you may not realize that it "pollens" here like it snows in Minnesota.  We get a nice, thick, even covering of yellow dust on everything.



Here's the newest wreath.  The only "left-over" thing about this wreath, however, is the grapevine wreath form.  I've had it for years.  The flowers, however, were just Hydrangea "bushes" from JoAnn's.  60% off this week.  I just wanted some hydrangeas - and every attempt I've made to plant them has failed miserably! 


In case you want to make one like this - it's super simple.  Really.  I might not even mind if you called it just a "craft!" It was so easy, in fact, that I ended up making a second one for my Mother-in-law.   I followed some of the ideas at the V. and Co blog, but if you want to know exactly how I did it, check out my tutorial here.  I got the flowers on sale at 60% off and used a coupon for 50% off one item for the ribbon at Joann's then purchased the grapevine wreath from Michael's using a 50% off coupon.  So, all told I spent $31 for this beautiful wreath!



I like it!


No comments: